Saturday, November 13, 2010

Your Decisions Shape Your Destiny

14th November 2010
I truly believe that the quality of our decisions can shape our destiny and take us one step closer to realizing our dreams. Rather than accept a half-lived life of mediocrity, we can all live the life we choose.

10 years ago, I was stuck in the rat race, sometimes working for 33 hours non-stop, miserably overworked and underpaid. I had no freedom. And, I had a boss. He dictated a large part of my life. What time I had lunch. How long I had lunch. What time I reported for work. What time I was allowed to leave, depending on the insane deadlines. (Whoever said that Advertising is a glamorous industry was lying!) I was just a puppet on an employment string.

Robert Kiyosaki talks about the 4 Cashflow Quadrants.
Cashflow Quadarant and Rich Dad, Poor Dad have impacted me greatly in changing my mindset, changing quadrants
and my financial habits!

It was around that time that I was introduced to Bob Proctor at a seminar in KL called "The Science Of Getting Rich". Little was I to know that it was the first of many, many seminars that would lead me to where I am today. That seminar, together with Robert Kiyosaki's book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "Cashflow Quadrant", plus a host of other live seminars (yes, I eventually became a seminar junkie), books, CDs, DVDs by Anthony Robbins, T Harv Eker, Zig Ziglar, Robert G Allen, Napoleon Hill and many more Success Coaches, eventually shaped my thoughts and changed my the course of my life.

Up close and personal with Robert Kiyosaki.
Robert's sister, Tenzin Kacho,
who serves with the Dalai Lama, spoke too.
KL, 2008
Today, I "work" two afternoons a week (that amounts to four days a month)! I have no boss. Technically, the owner of the ad agency I work in, is in Australia. And she's a nice lady. And yes, I can finally throw away the alarm clock! You may call it luck. However, none of these things happened by accident. I am exactly where I'm supposed to be. Simply because I had made a subconscious decision to get out of the rat race 10 years back, thanks to all my mentors and coaches.

And for the first time in 17 years, I love my job!

It looks like the investment of RM50,000++ spent on seminars, motivational books, CDs and DVDs the past 10 years of my life (and counting!) dedicated to self-improvement and personal growth, has been worth every single cent. Not so much in monetary gains, but it sure has bought me my Freedom.

Your decisions really do shape your destiny. And can change your life. But first, you have to reshape your thoughts... 

Carpe diem!

It is in your moments of decision,
that your Destiny is shaped.
- Anthony Robbins


Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ming for sharing about the "rat race" experience with us. The funny thing about winning the rat race is that you are still a rat! :D

    I have read many books and Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad is one of the book that changed my life. ;)

    With Much Gratitude!
    Garry Chow
    Organisational Change & Conflict Mgmt Trainer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Garry! Robert Kiyosaki has played an instrumental part in my financial education. Let's get together for a CA$HFLOW game soon. Can choose which "rat" you want to be :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definitely on your way to a great & rewarding life!

    All the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, thank you for your support and encouragement all these years! I thank Eric for introducing Robert Kiyosaki to me. That started it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Robert Kiyosaki Cashflow Quadrants, it really open my mind and starts thinking.

    ReplyDelete